August 19, 2020
We know this has been a challenging time for everyone and we hope that you are all safe and healthy. We also know that you have all been eager for more information on what the upcoming hockey season will look like.
We are happy to announce that registration for the upcoming season will be open as of today.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are required to comply with the province of Ontario’s emergency order, public health directives, City of Ottawa facilities management policies as well as directives set out by the OWHA. In order to comply with these measures, the NGHA will not be able to offer a traditional hockey program as we have done in the past.
Our primary goal remains to get players back on the ice, and to that end, we have developed a modified program. Please note that the program is subject to change in the event that we are permitted to move to a more traditional hockey program. As the situation with the pandemic continues to evolve, we will also be required to adapt to changing protocols. Our program may change over time as restrictions are eased or tightened.
- The season will consist of two sessions:
- Session 1: September to December 2020
- Session 2: January to March 2021.
- There will be no tryouts or sortouts.
- Groups will be formed taking into consideration age, skill level based coach ratings and recommendations as well as registration numbers.
- Currently we are restricted to a maximum of 20 participants on the ice (this includes players and coaches) and 25 participants in any facility.
- The City of Ottawa has prohibited spectators in any arena.
- On-ice activities will include conditioning, skills development and some controlled scrimmaging. Physical distancing must be maintained in all drills and scrimmages.
- There will be no games or tournaments. This may change as the season progresses, but neither is anticipated until at least January.
- Jerseys and socks will not be provided. Players will be asked to bring a light and a dark jersey to their ice times.
- No player/coach/parent movement can occur between groups. For example, on-ice volunteers can only volunteer with one team, no affiliation.
- There will be no team fees collected this season.
Public Health Protocols:
- All participants must follow the health protocols mandated by the province of Ontario, the city of Ottawa, Public Health and the OWHA.
- At this point in time, OWHA is not permitting the use of dressing rooms.
- Players must arrive to the rink fully dressed (more to come on this before the season starts).
- Players can be walked to the door of the arena, but parents will not be allowed to enter the facility.
- The City of Ottawa is not allowing any spectators in their facilities.
- For younger players, a parent volunteer will be assigned to wait at the door and direct players to the correct area, if required.
- Face coverings must be worn in all public spaces in facilities including non-players who are on the bench.
- Masks will not be required on the ice or when players are on the bench.
We will be sending this information out again prior to the first ice time.
FUNdamentals: Weekend of October 17/18 – December 12/13
One x 50 minute ice time per week for 8 weeks.
House League: September 19 – December 13
Two x 50 minute ice times per week for 12 weeks (no ice Thanksgiving weekend).
Fees: $450, there will be no team fees.
Competitive: September 19 – December 13
Three x 50 minute ice times per week for 12 weeks (no ice Thanksgiving weekend).
Fees: $450 upon initial registration, $200 once you’ve been assigned to your group. An additional competitive surcharge will apply to certain groups. There will be no team fees.
This session will run from January to March and will either be a continuation of the development format of session one, or a transition to a more traditional program, if permitted under regulations set out by the province, the city and the OWHA.
Given the uncertainty of the pandemic and the evolving situation, more information on the second session will be communicated later this fall. A separate registration and fee structure will be implemented according to guidelines in place at that time.
Please note that new groups will not be formed for the second session. Players who choose to register only for the second session will be placed on a waiting list until such time that we can guarantee sufficient numbers to form additional player groups.
With the uncertainty due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NGHA is implementing the following refund policy for the 2020-2021 season:
- Withdrawals prior to the beginning of the season – September 18th or earlier, would receive a 50% refund
- Withdrawals prior to October 31st would receive a 25% refund.
- No refunds will be provided after November 1st for the first session.
- If the program is temporarily shut down for public health reasons, for example, if there is a positive case reported, we are still obligated to fulfill our contractual obligations, and cannot guarantee a refund.
- If sessions are cancelled because of provincial order or by the City of Ottawa, a refund of the original registration fee less ice used to date and less a $150 administration fee would apply.
- There will be no refunds issued for missed ice times due to illness, injury, or leave for personal reasons.
- Should we be unable to fill a program, the NGHA reserves the right to cancel the program and provide participants with a full refund.
More information on player groups will be provided in the coming weeks.
We understand you may still have several questions. At this time, we are offering a program within the guidelines provided to us. Please understand, these guidelines can and will change as time goes on.
We will be sure to communicate changes and updates as they become available.
There are two registrations you must complete. New this year is a mandatory OWHA registration in addition to your NGHA registration. The new OWHA system allows for players and parents to digitally sign (instead of printing and signing) several forms including but not limited to the fair play pledge, Rowan’s Law acknowledgement form.
Register with the NGHA here: https://ngha.powerupsports.com/index.php
Questions about registration can be sent to Registrarngha@gmail.com.
Register with the OWHA using the following instructions:
1-Click on the "Create a New Account" icon – at the following link http://NepeanGHA.rampregistrations.com.
- Create an Account and register your player(s) who will be playing with the NGHA in 2020-21.
- Register the player as a Participant - IMPORTANT: Players need to sign electronically regardless of age when prompted!!
- You will receive a confirmation email from OWHA once completed.
- Coaches and other Team Staff should NOT register at this time. The NGHA will send out information at a later date to complete this process for our parent and non-parent volunteers.
Questions about registration can be sent to Registrarngha@gmail.com.