Mary Lou Zywicki Bursary
This bursary award is in honour of Mary Lou Zywicki who dedicated many years of service to girls’ hockey at both the team and executive levels. Mary Lou served on the NGHA executive in various positions for many years and was instrumental in developing the original NGHA website.
The NGHA wishes to recognize its players who are advancing to college or university to pursue their academics. A bursary of up to $2000.00 will be awarded to each of the successful applicants who must have been a registered house league or competitive player in the 2019-20 season and who best exemplifies:
- Sportsmanship and fair play (assessed in personal letter)
- Leadership, commitment, and personal contribution to your team (assessed in personal letter)
- Experience and contribution within the NGHA (assessed in personal letter)
- Ambition and direction in achieving life goals (assessed in personal letter)
- Academic achievement (assessed through submission of proof of grades, report cards or screenshot of Career Cruising or myBlueprint Account)
- Community participation through student volunteer hours (assessed through submission of ‘Community Involvement Activity Notification and Completion Sheet’).
Note that the bursary amounts will be affected by the number of recipients.
To be eligible for this bursary, you must:
- have played for the NGHA in the 2019-20 season and be a current member in good standing;
- have played in the NGHA for a minimum of four years;
- be attending a recognized post-secondary institution as a full-time student in 2020-21; and
- submit a complete application with all required documents by the deadline.
Please note: your application will not be considered if documents are missing.
Administration of Bursaries:
The Bursary Review Committee is responsible for reviewing all applications and assessing them based on the established matrix for each of the stated qualifications.
The Bursary Review Committee is comprised of four Board members and, when possible, an independent reviewer outside of the Board.
The number of bursaries varies annually. All selections will be final.
Funding will be forwarded by the NGHA Treasurer to the relevant post-secondary institution after proof of enrolment has been received.
The closing date for applications is May 21, 2020. All applications received shall be held in the strictest confidence and will be anonymized by the Bursary Administrator prior to being forwarded to the Committee for review.
How to apply:
Complete the Mary Lou Zywicki Bursary Application below and submit the following documents by May 21, 2020:
- a personal letter detailing your: life goals and plans to achieve them; philosophy on sports and teamwork; experience contributing to your NGHA teams; and contribution to the NGHA through volunteer work and the impact the NGHA has had on you personally. Your personal letter will also be assessed for clear and effective communication;
- clear copies of your school report cards showing your marks for grades 11 and 12, or a screen shot of your Career Cruising or myBlueprint Account;
- clear copies of your volunteer hours work sheets (‘Community Involvement Activity Notification and Completion Sheet’) along with a brief description of what the volunteer hours were for; and
- at least two (2) letters from your current and/or former coaches detailing your personal contribution to and leadership on the team.
Please note: Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
If you experience any difficulty uploading the application and/or supporting documents, your complete application may be dropped off to 18 Totteridge Avenue on or before May 21, 2020.
Total of 40 points possible:
- Personal letter: 15 points - sliding scale based on the content, level of detail and logical and effective organization of thoughts.
- School marks: 10 points - sliding scale with 1 point for an average of 68 and lower to 10 points for an average of 96-100.
- Volunteer hours: 10 points: sliding scale with up to 4 points for 41 or more hours to 10 points for 200 or more hours.
- Years in NGHA: 5 points: sliding scale with 1 point for 4 years of NGHA membership to 5 points for 10 or more years.
- Coach letters will not be scored but are a mandatory component of your application in support of your personal letter.
All applications and supporting documents become the property of the NGHA.
Questions can be sent to email@example.com