Toni Guimaraes Bursary
Toni Guimaraes was a dedicated husband and father, a passionate hockey fan and a proud member of the Nepean Wildcats family. Toni's personal story is one of determination and overcoming hurdles to achieve success.
At age 3, Toni moved from Portugal to Canada with his family. As a young child with limited resources, he was embraced by Christie Lake Kids, a camp for underprivileged youth. Touched by the impact this organization had on his life, Toni made it a priority to give back to his community both personally and through corporate donations.
Toni also had a passion for hockey. As an avid fan, coach and player, he wanted to pass his love of the game on to others. He proudly coached and participated in the Nepean Girls Hockey Association for over 10 years. Most importantly, Toni was a loving father to four daughters. He was proud to watch them grow and develop their interests over the years.
Those close to Toni witnessed firsthand how that determination continued throughout his journey with prostate cancer. In true Toni-style he searched for solutions relying on his resourcefulness and perseverance. Toni's passion for everything in life was felt by family, friends and colleagues. Sadly, Toni passed away in September 2016.
The Toni Guimaraes bursary was created to recognize the characteristics and values that were important to Toni and to provide financial support to NGHA players pursuing post-secondary education. The Guimaraes and Thom families together will offer 2 deserving NGHA players a bursary of $1,000 each toward their undergraduate studies.
To be eligible for this bursary, you must:
1) be a current member in good standing with the NGHA,
2) be attending a recognized post-secondary institution as a full-time student in September 2020, and
3) submit a complete application, including supporting documents, by June 14, 2020.
Administration of Bursaries
All applications will be submitted to the NGHA and forwarded to the Toni Guimaraes selection committee. This committee is comprised of members of the Guimaraes and Thom families who will select the successful applicants. All selections will be final.
Funding will be forwarded to the relevant post-secondary institution after proof of enrolment has been received. Further details will be provided to the successful applicants.
The closing date for applications is June 14, 2020.
All applications shall be held in the strictest confidence and will be anonymized by the NGHA prior to being forwarded to the Toni Guimaraes selection committee for review.
How to apply
Complete the Toni Guimaraes Bursary Application below and submit the following documents:
- a) A personal letter: Tell us a story of how you embody the characteristics lived by Toni and how you have overcome adversity, either personally, athletically, academically, socially, or financially and persevered through determination and a belief in yourself (possible 25 points). Your letter should also include details to explain your need for financial support (possible 10 points) and include the number of years you’ve played in the NGHA (possible 5 points),
- b) An email or letter from your current or previous hockey coach detailing your personal contribution to the team and style of play (possible 5 points), and
- c) A clear copy of your validated school volunteer sheets (possible 5 points).
Please note: Incomplete applications and submissions received after June 14, 2020, will not be considered.
If you experience any difficulty uploading the application and/or supporting documents or you have any questions, please email email@example.com before June 13th, 2020 to ensure you meet the June 14th deadline.
All applicants will be contacted by email following final selection.