Mary Lou Zywicki Bursary 2022
This bursary award is in honour of Mary Lou Zywicki who dedicated many years of service to girls’ hockey at both the team and executive levels. Mary Lou served on the NGHA executive in various positions for many years and was instrumental in developing the original NGHA website.
The NGHA wishes to recognize its players who are advancing to college or university to pursue their academics. A bursary of up to $2000 will be awarded to each of the successful applicants who must have been a registered U18 competitive or house league player in the 2021-22 season and who best exemplifies:
- Sportsmanship and fair play (assessed in personal letter)
- Personal contribution to your team (assessed in personal letter)
- Experience and contribution within the NGHA (assessed in personal letter)
- Ambition and direction in achieving life goals (assessed in personal letter)
- Academic achievement (assessed through submission of proof of grades, report cards or screenshot of Career Cruising or myBlueprint Account)
- Community participation through student volunteer hours (assessed through submission of ‘Community Involvement Activity Notification and Completion Sheet’).
Note that the bursary amounts will be affected by the number of recipients.
To be eligible for this bursary, you must have:
- played for a U18 NGHA team in the 2021-22 season and be a current member in good standing;
- played in the NGHA for a minimum of four years;
- maintained an overall average 75% in grades 11 and 12;
- a minimum of 80 student volunteer hours;
- been accepted to and will be attending a recognized Canadian post-secondary institution as a full-time student in 2022-23
- submitted a complete application with all required documents by May 7, 2022.
Please note: your application will not be considered if documents are missing.
Administration of Bursaries:
The Bursary Administrator will receive all applications and review for completeness and eligibility.
The Bursary Review Committee will be comprised of four to five members of the NGHA who will be responsible for reviewing all personal letters and assessing them based on the established matrix for each of the stated qualifications.
The number of bursaries awarded varies annually. All selections will be final.
Funding will be forwarded by the NGHA Treasurer to the relevant Canadian post-secondary institution after proof of enrolment has been received from the recipient. Recipients do not receive the bursary funds directly.
The closing date for applications is May 7, 2022. All applications received shall be held in the strictest confidence and will be anonymized by the Bursary Administrator prior to being forwarded to the Committee for review.
How to apply:
Submit by email to email@example.com by May 7, 2022:
- a) an email with your name, the number of years you’ve played in the NGHA, your overall school average and total number of volunteer hours;
- b) a personal letter detailing your: life goals and plans to achieve them; philosophy on sports and teamwork and the impact the NGHA has had on you personally; experience contributing to your NGHA teams; and contribution to the community through volunteer work;
- c) clear copies of your school report cards showing your marks for grades 11 and 12, or a screen shot of your Career Cruising or myBlueprint Account;
- d) clear copies of your volunteer hours work sheets (‘Community Involvement Activity Notification and Completion Sheet’) along with a brief description of what the volunteer hours were for; and
- e) at least two (2) letters from your current and/or former coaches detailing your personal contribution to and leadership on the team.
Please note: Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
If you experience any difficulty uploading the application and/or supporting documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by noon May 7, 2022.
Total of 45 points possible:
- a) Personal letter: 25 points - sliding scale based on the content, level of detail and logical and effective organization of thoughts.
- b) School marks: 10 points
- c) Volunteer hours: 10 points:
- d) Coach letters will not be scored but are a mandatory component of your application in support of your personal letter.
All applications and supporting documents become the property of the NGHA.
Questions can be sent to email@example.com.